The biomedical use of innovative stem cell technologies is often faced with unsolved methodological and technological challenges. As part of its research and development activities, the Cellomics platform addresses highly topical research fields such as alternative reprogramming techniques, complex 2D and 3D cell culture systems, in vitro disease modelling, cell-based therapies and the industrialisation of stem cell-based processes. With the aim of bringing human cell systems efficiently to biomedical application, the platform is involved in a number of funding programmes for preclinical research and development projects. In addition, the Cellomics platform is particularly engaged in translational research projects, which are implemented in conjunction with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- H2020 PHC 3-2015: Comorbidity and Synapse Biology in Clinically Overlapping Psychiatric Disorders (COSYN, Funding Code: 667301). Based on patient-specific neurons, this consortium aims to contribute to clarifying the pathogenesis of psychiatric diseases and develop new diagnostic processes and cellular assays for target identification and drug discovery.
- EU Framework Programme for Research HEALTH-F4-2013-602278: European Stem Cell Consortium for Neural Cell Replacement, Reprogramming and Functional Brain Repair (NeuroStemcellRepair, Funding Code: HEALTH-F4-2013-602278). The aim of this project is to prepare the clinical use of stem cell derived neural cell products for cell replacement therapy in treating Parkinson’s and Huntington’s disease.
- Lead Market Competition LifeScience: Standardised and Integrated Processes for Personalised Stem Cell-Based Drug Prediction using Reprogrammed Blood Cells (StemCellFactory III, Funding Code: EFRE-0800977). This consortium project aims to implement the automated reprogramming of human blood cells from the StemCellFactory and to establish the use of iPS cell derived disease-specific cells from patient blood for individualised drug prediction to cells of the target tissue.
- Lead Market Competition LifeScience: Innovative Testing Systems for Identifying Curative Analgesics with Reliable Prognosis for the Effect on Patients (NeuRoWeg, Funding Code: EFRE-0800407). This project, carried out in conjunction with the pharmaceutical company Grünenthal, aims to develop novel testing systems for a more reliable and more rapid selection of candidate molecules for developing new pain killers.
- H2020-JTI-IMI2-2015-05-03: PHAGO (Funding Code: 115976-PHAGO): This Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) project aims to investigate the role of neuroinflammation in the development and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. In particular, the project is examining modulating microglia and microphage activation using the TREM2 and CD33 signalling pathways.
- H2020-JTI-IMI2-2015-05-03: NGN-PET (Funding Code: 116072-NGN-PET): The aim of this IMI project is to establish an iPS cell-based platform for modelling neuron-glia interactions and to use this for drug discovery.
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research Funding of Innovative Stem Cell Technologies for Individualised Medicine: Neuro2D3 (Funding Code: 01EK1603B): This joint project focusses on the development of patient-specific and disease-specific cellular testing systems for the in vitro modelling of age-related neurological diseases and their implementation in high content and high throughput screening.