The biomedical use of innovative stem cell technologies often faces unsolved methodological and technical challenges. Within its R&D activities, L&B Cellomics addresses highly topical research fields such as alternative cell programming technologies, complex 2D and 3D cell culture systems, in vitro disease modeling and drug testing, cell-based therapies and industrialization of stem cell-based processes. With the aim of efficiently bringing human cell systems into biomedical application, the platform also participates in national and international third-party funded preclinical research and development projects, often in collaboration with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- H2020 PHC 3-2015: Comorbidity and Synapse Biology in Clinically Overlapping Psychiatric Disorders (COSYN, Funding Code: 667301). Based on patient-specific neurons, this consortium aims to contribute to clarifying the pathogenesis of psychiatric diseases and develop new diagnostic processes and cellular assays for target identification and drug discovery.
- Lead Market Competition LifeScience: Standardised and Integrated Processes for Personalised Stem Cell-Based Drug Prediction using Reprogrammed Blood Cells (StemCellFactory III, Funding Code: EFRE-0800977). This consortium project aims to implement the automated reprogramming of human blood cells from the StemCellFactory and to establish the use of iPS cell derived disease-specific cells from patient blood for individualised drug prediction to cells of the target tissue.
- H2020-JTI-IMI2-2015-05-03: PHAGO (Funding Code: 115976-PHAGO): This Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) project aims to investigate the role of neuroinflammation in the development and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. In particular, the project is examining modulating microglia and microphage activation using the TREM2 and CD33 signalling pathways.
- H2020-JTI-IMI2-2015-05-03: NGN-PET (Funding Code: 116072-NGN-PET): The aim of this IMI project is to establish an iPS cell-based platform for modelling neuron-glia interactions and to use this for drug discovery.
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research Funding of Innovative Stem Cell Technologies for Individualised Medicine: Neuro2D3 (Funding Code: 01EK1603B): This joint project focusses on the development of patient-specific and disease-specific cellular testing systems for the in vitro modelling of age-related neurological diseases and their implementation in high content and high throughput screening.
- H2020 SC1-BHC-07-2019: Novel Strategies for Cell-based Neural Reconstruction (NSC-Reconstruct, Funding Code: 874758). The major goal of this study is to develop and translate to the clinic novel cell replacement therapies for two neurodegenerative conditions, Parkinson´s disease (PD) and Huntington´s disease (HD).